Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Lorax - Quiet Book

The Lorax organic cotton fabric came out from Robert Kaufman awhile ago, and I just had to do something with it! I love Dr. Seuss, especially The Lorax book and animated TV special (1972).


I ordered the bright panel and fat quarters. There was plenty of seam allowance around each panel for cutting and sewing. They have some adorable free patterns, but there is so much white in them, I wasn't sure they'd stay clean for a toddler gift. With ten blocks in the panel, it was also difficult to decide to do 3 X 3 quilt blocks with 1 missing panel or 3 X 4 quilt blocks with extra panels, so I thought I'd make a soft, quiet book.


I kept trying to figure out the best way to make a quiet book, comparing tutorials and patterns online - sew RST and turn inside out? Stitch and pink the edges? Quilt and bind? One page at a time or two? How do you put the book together? What do you use to stabilize the pages?

Then, I saw this pattern and thought it would make a perfect gift. This pattern is so helpful, I hope to make a Ten Little Things quiet book soon! It has chalkboard fabric and zippers! Designed by the fabulous Angela Yosten.


It suggests using Soft and Stable by Annie. It has great body to it! I may never use batting for crafts or purses again!

For my first quiet book, I kept my pages simple and followed the same instructions for these panels.


I only wish I knew which order the pages go in. My memory fails me! 
I should have gone and looked in the book.


There was barely enough fabric to add borders and binding, but I squeezed out just enough from the fat quarters, using 2 1/2 inch strips. 


The grommets were difficult to hammer, so my dear husband helped.


This book will go to a dear friend, who has one tattoo on her ankle - The Lorax. I hope her son enjoys the story as much as she and I do.


I have not seen the new movie. Is it any good?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your book!! That is such a GREAT idea to do with the panels!

    ReplyDelete