Monday, February 18, 2013

Reversible Sewing Machine Cover - Selvage Cosy

I have been saving fabric selvages for awhile, trying to figure out what to do with them.


When I needed to make a sewing machine cover, I thought I might be able to put them to good use.


I found a great tutorial on making the sewing machine cover using the measurements of any machine:
Notes from the Patch: Tutorial Tuesday - #32 Sewing machine cozy
It includes excellent step-by-step instructions with pictures and a downloadable .pdf for the tutorial.


I had a few fat quarters left of Amy Butler Lark fabric, so I used that for the lining and ends, with some Essex Linen for the contrasting borders.



I was hoping that just stitching the selvages on the raw edge of the strips would add some texture, but sewing them diagonally on the base fabric just made them wrap around and curl more than the flapping movement I was hoping to achieve. I should have sewn them horizontally.


I shortened the length because it will be set in to a flatbed cabinet.


I think it looks better inside out with the Amy Butler fabric showing. 
The tutorial includes pockets on the sides, too!
What do you use to cover your machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment