Friday, May 24, 2013

McCall's M6653 Misses' Top using Denyse Schmidt Cotton Voile

I have been so determined not to purchase any more clothing. I have been spending all my spare time making more items, so I can wear something me-made every day of the week at work. I owe this all to the gals over at Join the Challenge: Sew Your Own Wardrobe For a Year! They rock! Check them out and get inspired!

I made this blouse just in time for hot weather. This was fun and a breeze to put together.


This is McCall's M6653 Misses' Tops pattern. I made style B. Although the pattern picture is rather dressy, I thought the silhouette looked casual. Is that a drawing of a Flashdance sweatshirt? This is really versatile, depending on the fabric used. Instructions suggested lining, but I will wear a small knit top underneath, so I did not line mine.


I didn't have a clue how this would look on my body, so I made a muslin. It was a pleasant surprise!


The pattern layout indicates that the blouse should be cut on the cross-grain. When I went to pick out fabric, I eliminated several voile prints with a vertical direction (mostly flowers). I didn't think they'd look good growing sideways.

The fabric I chose was Greenfield Hill Voile - "Blueberry Coterie" by Denyse Schmidt for Free Spirit. This geometric print looks good no matter how you cut it. I think I got it for $9.00/yard on clearance. Oh, yeah!

Without a lining, I needed to finish the raw edges at the neckline, sleeves, and waist. I chose to finish all the edges with bias binding, using the same fabric. To match the look of the bias binding, I flat felled all the seams.


This turned out so well, I made another one of this pattern, but I have not taken a picture yet. What a feeling!

Now, what are you making? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment