Sunday, December 25, 2011

Terrain Quilt Top Progress on Christmas Eve


MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF MY SEWING BLOGGERS!
I'm learning a lot from you!

With a day off work, I decided to get busy sewing the last row of blocks on this quilt top.



It won't be done in time for Christmas gifting - it may not even be done by next year! - but I'm afraid if I don't finish it now, I never will!

The layer cake of Kate Spain's Terrain fabric did not contain the fabrics in the picture for this Stepping Stones pattern, so I had to improvise. Yikes!

I do not understand color and light. I chose this pattern for the optical illusion, because there's no way I could ever come up with something this cool on my own!

Luckily, my dear husband helped me pick out remaining squares to use for the colors suggested.



I added the black border and stopped. I do not have any more fabric to do the suggested extra border around that. Do you think I should?

This is getting so big, I just don't understand how anyone makes bigger quilts! Whew!

Now I need to pick out 4 yards of fabric for the back.

Would you suggest black? Or yardage of one of the Terrain prints? I can't decide.

Next comes the basting. The basting spray I tested on smaller squares didn't seem to stick enough to work. I think I'm going to have to pin baste on the floor. Does anyone pin baste on a table starting from the center, if the floor is too small or has pets not willing to vacate the area?

And then, how will I quilt it? I am really digging the black pattern, so I may stitch in the ditch around the black to outline it.

Take care. {{{hugs}}}


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's gorgeous. I love the illusion! For the back, how about a solid (black?) with a stripe of various Terrain pieces, similar to Red Pepper Quilts? http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2011/12/summer-rain-finished-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, that is a fabulous idea! I do have a few remaining squares from the layer cake, so I am going to try some Terrain patchwork and see what happens! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete