Friday, January 27, 2012

Terrain Quilt Finally Done?! If you say so!

I finally finished quilting the Stepping Stones project sheet pattern using a layer cake of Kate Spain's Terrain fabric.

I say it's finished, because I went ahead and finished the binding, but I am not sure if I should do some more quilting or not? What do you think?


I was in a hurry to bind it, because the extra batting around the edges was shedding like crazy all over the place. I didn't have enough clips or pins to roll the backing over the batting temporarily, so I broke down and used masking tape. How embarrassing!! Ugh. Well, blue painter's tape and lint rollers are my new best friends!



I read that stitching in the ditch is "so '90s" so I stitched a 1/4 inch in from all the black seams, with black thread in the top and bobbin.


Then, I gave in and stitched in the ditch with monofilament in the top and black thread in the bobbin, around the squares on point.

I really want the color to pop, but I don't want it to be too loose. Using Warm and Natural batting, I think it's ok, structurally.


If I do more quilting, it would probably be quite a commitment to do it overall, and it might get heavy.


Would you quilt in the colored blocks at all?


This is a late holiday gift, so I'm hoping to send it on its way soon!







I mitered the corners, but I didn't stitch all the way out to the edges, so they have little mouths. I think I should hand stitch those shut. Any suggestions?


I still need to wash it. I hope it works ok. I did prewash all the black once before.




I had a little bit of trouble with lots of whiskers of batting coming out where I had thread basted. In a more recent video by Sharon Schamber, I think she mentions using 2 strands of DMC Perle Cotton Size #8.

 

I think I used a round ball of thread, Size 5 on this, so I'm going to try next time with Size 8. Either way, I am singing her praises! I am very pleased at how little of a struggle it was, with no puckers or tucks on the back!


Please share your suggestions on how to improve this! Thanks!