Friday, January 27, 2012

Terrain Quilt Finally Done?! If you say so!

I finally finished quilting the Stepping Stones project sheet pattern using a layer cake of Kate Spain's Terrain fabric.

I say it's finished, because I went ahead and finished the binding, but I am not sure if I should do some more quilting or not? What do you think?


I was in a hurry to bind it, because the extra batting around the edges was shedding like crazy all over the place. I didn't have enough clips or pins to roll the backing over the batting temporarily, so I broke down and used masking tape. How embarrassing!! Ugh. Well, blue painter's tape and lint rollers are my new best friends!



I read that stitching in the ditch is "so '90s" so I stitched a 1/4 inch in from all the black seams, with black thread in the top and bobbin.


Then, I gave in and stitched in the ditch with monofilament in the top and black thread in the bobbin, around the squares on point.

I really want the color to pop, but I don't want it to be too loose. Using Warm and Natural batting, I think it's ok, structurally.


If I do more quilting, it would probably be quite a commitment to do it overall, and it might get heavy.


Would you quilt in the colored blocks at all?


This is a late holiday gift, so I'm hoping to send it on its way soon!







I mitered the corners, but I didn't stitch all the way out to the edges, so they have little mouths. I think I should hand stitch those shut. Any suggestions?


I still need to wash it. I hope it works ok. I did prewash all the black once before.




I had a little bit of trouble with lots of whiskers of batting coming out where I had thread basted. In a more recent video by Sharon Schamber, I think she mentions using 2 strands of DMC Perle Cotton Size #8.

 

I think I used a round ball of thread, Size 5 on this, so I'm going to try next time with Size 8. Either way, I am singing her praises! I am very pleased at how little of a struggle it was, with no puckers or tucks on the back!


Please share your suggestions on how to improve this! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! It looks fantastic with or without extra quilting :) the black on those bright colours really is so effective! I had the same little wisps of batting poking through, the lint brush was defn a life saver.. and I've never sewn the little corners of binding shut after mitreing.. maybe a good last minute press with an iron?? but I didnt do anything with my big lap quilt and its been okay for a couple of years now, still looks fine (used most nights in front of the tv!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hand-stitched closed the mitered corner gaps and washed it.
      It definitely shriveled up nicely and no colors ran, so that's good.
      I just shipped it off today to my friend!
      That's good to know about your lap quilt.
      I need a new binky!

      Delete
  2. Hopefully the bearding will get better over time. Lint rollers, Painter's tape, and Elmer's school glue are essential tools in my studio--I concur. Beautiful quilt - I think the amount of quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Marjorie!
    What have you been making lately?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very beautiful! I'd leave it as it is. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so relieved it arrived to its destination intact.

      Delete